About Us

Parts for Trucks, Inc. is the largest distributor of heavy duty truck and trailer parts in Atlantic Canada. We have locations in all four Atlantic Provinces and we are proud to state that since our beginning in 1919, we have always been owned and managed by Atlantic Canadians.

We offer a complete range of products and services for all makes of trucks and trailers. Our truck-mounted equipment lines represent the leading manufacturers in the industry. We also sell a wide range of tools and equipment for repair garages.

Parts for Trucks also manufactures "Parts for Trucks" brand and "Fleetsaver" brand brake shoe kits, using top-quality brake lining and brake components from industry-leading suppliers in our in-house production department.

Our Service Centres, in Dartmouth, Halifax, Saint John, and Moncton, together have over 58 bays and 80 technicians, and are open extended hours to serve you better. We are equipped for front-end alignment, spring and suspension repairs, driveshaft manufacture, wheel base alterations, welding, hoist repairs, trailer repair, and installation of truck-mounted equipment.

For operators of fleets, both large and small, we offer comprehensive preventive maintenance programs that can be customized to meet any fleet's requirements.

Parts for Trucks has been dedicated to serving the transportation industry since its founding in Halifax in 1919 by Harold Spencer and Harry Richard. At that time, Canada was a young country that had come of age during the First World War, and motorized transportation was in a very early stage as well. There were only 10,300 registered motor vehicles in all of Nova Scotia , and probably no more than 1,000 of them were commercial. As the industry and the economy of Atlantic Canada grew, the company expanded.

During the 1920's, we began using the name "Scotia Equipment", which would remain the company's name until the 1980's. Throughout those years, the company built a reputation for quality and service that earned the support of a growing number of customers in Nova Scotia, and increasing interest from customers in New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland. North America took notice as well; the company made enduring relationships with many of the heavy duty truck component manufacturers in Canada and the United States.

In 1969, as the company celebrated 50 years in business, we moved all of our parts and service operations to a new building in Dartmouth 's Burnside Industrial Park . That location, after several expansions, remains the site of our Head Office. The new space in Burnside allowed the company to expand its range of products and services, providing wider support to trucking fleets and installation of its truck-mounted equipment lines.

In the 1979, the company opened its first branch location in Fredericton , New Brunswick , and quickly followed that by opening a location in St. John's , Newfoundland in 1981.

When we opened our brand new store in Truro, Nova Scotia in 1985, we tried a new look - a 5,000 square foot display-style truck parts store that was open to our customers to see for themselves the large and varied inventory that we carry. For a store that different, we also used a new name - "Parts for Trucks". The success of that location led us to re-model old locations and build new locations with the same look and name.

In 1987, we formally changed the name of the company to "Parts for Trucks, Inc." It was the same company built on a history of quality and service, now with a dynamic new title.

As Parts for Trucks, we maintained our commitment to listen to our customers, and continued to add products, services, and locations that met the needs of the trucking industry. From 1987 to the end of the 20th century, another nine Parts for Trucks stores were started. Since 2000, we have continued to expand our Parts for Trucks store network, expanding to 15 locations in Atlantic Canada. And we greatly increased the service profile of the company expanding our facility in Dartmouth and adding 3 new service locations.

In 2010, Parts for Trucks opened a Parts Distribution Centre to keep pace with this ever expanding distribution network. Our 33,000 square foot PDC allows us to buy in volume and rapidly replenish all of our Parts for Trucks locations.  

Parts for Trucks has been an active participant in all major industry associations. Locally, we have a tradition of active involvement in the Atlantic Provinces Trucking Association (APTA), as well as several provincial associations.

We are a founding member of Vipar Heavy Duty, North America's leading Heavy Duty buying group. We have been a long-standing member of the Commercial Vehicle Solutions Network (CVSN) and Heavy Duty Aftermarket Canada (HDAC). Parts for Trucks is recognized as an industry leader in these US and Canadian groups.

At Parts for Trucks, our commitment to serving our customers is what guides us every day. We invite you to visit any of our locations, and let our experienced staff show you more.

Scotia Equipment